BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Review: Pastworld by Ian Beck



I know it's been a long time coming, so without further ado, I give you my review for Pastworld By Ian Beck!

My review and thoughts:
Imagine London in a huge dome of sorts where all civilization is reproduced in the Victorian age, while the outside world is in the year 2048. Not only is London living in the past, but it's know as the Pastworld Theme Park for all the outside world. Tourists, also know as the Gawkers, come from all over the world as they pay big money to live the life of a Victorian, and enjoy the many entertainments of Pastworld.

Eve, a girl who's only known the life of London as it is-horse run carriages, harsh laws, gas lamps, and old buildings-decides to set out in the streets of Pastworld on her own. As she does she's met with the realization of what her home really is--a theme park, and money maker for the man in charge. Not only does she have to reassess her home, but herself as well.

Caleb, a boy from the outside world, brought to Pastworld by his father on Halloween, is left awe struck by how fascinating everything around him really is. But soon enough, when he sees his face on wanted posters for a murder he didn't commit, he's all but ready to return to his strict home life in the outside world.

But this seems to be the least of Eve's and Caleb's problems when the most dangerous and biggest attraction of Pastworld decides to show his face and destruction once again. They call him, The Fantom....

Intricate, compelling, and one masterfully told story. Pastworld is a place where many haunting worries are hiding in the streets, and around the darkest of corners. There is much adventure to be had, and many fun , interesting, and spooky characters to follow. You will find romance, friends, thieves, and many shocking murder mysteries to witness in the streets of Pastworld. This was definitely a page turner for me to the very end, and I find myself recommending it to you all! :)

:) More about Pastworld here :) I will also leave you with the trailer for the book below. It's pretty cool, if I do say so myself! Enjoy, and have a wonderful day every one :)






(Off topic---Man, it's been awhile since I last posted, but in my defence it's been crazy around here :) Also, with the way life is going right now the best time it seems for me to post will be on the weekends... What can I say, I'm a reader of all your blogs and I love it! How you guys keep up with posts and comments I'll never know! You're all awesome!)

33 Witty Remarks!:

Blodeuedd said...

Hi,
Fun to see you back posting at your place.
Sounds like a cool book, I am intrigued

Krista said...

Thanks, Blodeuedd, it's nice to be back and trying to post :) Awesome new picture, by the way :)

Crystal said...

Welcome back :) Great review, sounds really fascinating. I haven't heard of this book. I'll have to add it to my TBR list.

Alyssa Kirk said...

This sounds awesome. I'm putting in on my library list pronto! Great review and I too am glad you're back!

Shooting Stars Mag said...

I heard about this a few months or so ago I believe and it sounds great. I'm glad you enjoyed the book and I hope to read it sometime soon.

-Lauren

ediFanoB said...

Krista,

I heard about the book and I watched the trailer before I read your great review. You convinced me to add the book to my list.
London is my favorite town. And it is a fascinating idea to change it into a Theme Park.....

it is always good to have a schedule for your posts. Reader like a kind of routine. This is my experience with my Weekly Roundup. I is interesting and it makes a lot of fun to read other blogs. But don't forget your own blog!

Anyway good luck for your blog.

Alexia561 said...

Had heard about this book and your review makes me want to read it even more! Awesome trailer too! Thanks for posting it.

As for posting on the weekends, that seems to be what I wind up doing as well. Wish I was organized enough to schedule advance posts, but for now will just blitz post on my days off. Wish I knew that secret of daily posts too. If you find out, please share! *L*

Peter S. said...

Hi, Krista! Thanks for reviewing this book. I think this will be a perfect Halloween read, yes? And I think I'll love this one since I'm an anglophile. Hehe.

Logan said...

Hey, Krista! I was wondering when you were going to post again. This plot sounds awesome; no doubt there are a lot of readers into Victorian literature, but this book adds an interesting dimension in that the Victorian world exists side by side with a (post) modern one.

Thanks for swinging by my little blog and leaving such encouraging comments. I figured you weren't posting yourself because you were too busy being nice and commenting on other people's blogs. Have a great weekend!

logankstewart said...

Krista, great review. I love the cover to that book. I'll have to keep an eye open for this one.

Krista said...

Crystal, thank you! I'm glad I could share a new title with you :)

Alyssa Kirk @ Teens Read and Write, thank you! It really is pretty awesome :)


Shooting Stars Mag--Lauren, I look forward to seeing what you think about it!

ediFanoB, thank you! If you do read it I so look forward to your review :)

Yeah, routines are great :). I try and read the blogs I follow on the week days (while I'm at work ;) just don't tell, lol!) and then that will leave me open on the weekends to touch up my blog, which seems like it will work out good for me. We will see... :) Oh, and I still have to read your weekly roundup tomorrow, I love that post :)


Alexia561, thank you! Glad you enjoyed the trailer :)

Oh, and that's so cool we can be weekend buddies then, lol! ;) And if I find out all the bloggers secrets you'll be the first person I inform! :)


Peter S., thank you! Oh, yes, perfect for Halloween :) That's why I got it and read it! ;) It seems everyone LOVES London, we should all move there, lol...:)


Logan, this book really is awesome!

Thank you, and I really enjoy your blog. You are a wonderful writer and you always have such thought-provoking posts... :) You have a wonderful week as well! :)


Logankstewart, thank you! I just love the cover as well, and I believe that the Author actually did his own illustration for this cover... He is very good at both, I say! :)

ediFanoB said...

Krista,

thank you for your nice reply. I know you like my Roundup :-)

Melissa (My World...in words and pages) said...

Hey Krista, I am glad I entered for this one in your contest. It sounds really good, suspenseful. Sounds GREAT!

Tales of Whimsy said...

No defense necessary! We love you.

Great review btw. I can't wait to read this.

Blodeuedd said...

Thanks Krista,
I thought it was time for a change.

Jessica said...

This sounds gooood! I'll have to give it a try. Great review. :)

I'm glad you're back (even if it is for a little while). I've missed you!

Sarbear said...

Krista, I'm back from my anatomy test! This was a good review -- I totally want to read this. I love book trailers and the way you described it made me want to read it. Thanks : )

Andrea [Buried In Books] said...

Hey Krista!

Just wanted to personally invite you to join in on my 50th follower giveaway! :]

http://ireadd.blogspot.com/2009/10/very-girly-giveaway-50-followers.html

Lizzy said...

This one sounds really unique, and I'll definitely be adding it to my list! Plus, I can't say no if there's a good book trailer involved

Unknown said...

Wow, what a fantastic concept. I hadn't heard of this book before now but it will be on my list. Great review!

Unknown said...

Krista -
We aren't going anywhere... :)

bookmagic said...

Glad you're back! This book sounds really good. Thanks for the great review

Anonymous said...

I so badly want to read this book!!!!! gaaahhhh it looks awesome!!!!!

Ryan said...

How the hell did I miss this review. Sounds like a fantastic book and right up my alley. I'm going to have to get it this weekend.

Michelle (Red Headed Book Child) said...

OMG! This sounds freakin' fantastic.

Thanks for the review.

Ian Beck said...

Hey Krista,

Ian Beck of Beckism.com here; hate to say, but I'm not the author of Pastworld. That would be Ian Beck the British author:

http://www.tomtrueheart.com/

I hope to someday be published, but thanks to that other guy it probably won't be under the name "Ian Beck". :-\

Krista said...

Melissa (My World), it is really good! You should definitely try it :)


Juju, thank you girl! I'll be looking forward to what you think about it!

Blodeuedd, you're welcome!


Jessica (BookLover), Thank you! You should definitely give it a go even if you get it from the Library ;) I'm glad to be back too :)


Sarbear, I hope you did well with that test! I hope you enjoy it when you read it, and I love trailers too :)


Andrea [Buried In Books], Thank you! :)


Lizzy, it is so good! And yes, book trailers are awesome!


Kiirstin, I'm glad I could introduce you to a new book! It really was a unique kind of book and if you get it I hope you enjoy it :)


Shellie (Layers of Thought), thank you :)
Krista -


Bookmagic, Thank you! It was a really fun book :)

Okbolover, It is awesome, he he ;)

Ryan G, YAY! Now you don't have to buy it, hehe ;) I hope you enjoy it :)

Michelle (Red Headed Book Child), it is freakin' fantastic, hehe :)

Ian Beck, thank you and so sorry! I didn't realize whoops! :)

Alyssa Kirk said...

I've heard other good things about this one. Great review!

Peter S. said...

Hi, Krista! Thank goodness you're back and posting reviews!

Hmmm... The cover and the premise are indeed intriguing! Thanks for posting the review and the link to the trailer.

I'll be waiting for your posts on the weekends!

Jax said...

I see you are reading Lovely Bones, I have it on my desk here. I have to finish it before I see the movie.

marky said...

Imagine London in a huge dome of sorts where all civilization is reproduced in the Victorian age.
==============================
Then you would find that it's a true representation of the real London.;-)

Great review, I'll be adding it to my list. I'm in the middle of Mistborn, and I'm loving it. Hence the picture of me burning tin to your right!

Have a great Thanksgiving holiday.

Anonymous said...

Can't speak for anyone else, but I have no life outside of blogging. ;) Plans are in the works to change that for 2010.

Okie said...

That does sound interesting. Thanks for the review. :)