BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Books to Movies...

Went to see The Lightening Thief this past weekend and I thought it was a really good movie. I enjoyed it. I've heard up and down reviews, though, and the downs seem to be the ones who have read the book first. I did not read the book and I really enjoyed the movie. Some of the plot seems to have been recycled from other stories and or movies before it, but it was still pleasant to watch. What I'm wondering though is... Do you like to read the book first or vise versa? I mean, it seems I come away disappointed no matter which way I go. See, if I see the movie first, I tend to put the book to the bottom of my to read list, and then when I do end up reading the book the story can sometimes be a bore because I know around about what's going to happen. But, if I read the book first, I seem to be disappointed with what they left out, or didn't interpret the overall story in the same way I had it played out in my mind while reading. It seems to be a lose-lose situation for me, however, I think I enjoy reading the book first so the movie doesn't ruin an otherwise wonderful story. What about you?


I'm even looking forward to watching Shutter Island, but I just can't decide whether I should run out and read the book first! What a dilemma! lol. I just adore Leo, though. He is totally my dream guy. ~heart flutters~


Anyway, I'm headed to the book store today (love that place ha-ha) and I'm hoping to pick up The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms by N.K. Jemisin so I can join in on the Barnes and Nobles book club discussion with the author here and anyone is more than welcome to join in. Yes, even you! (hint, hint, wink, wink, lol). Really looking forward to this book. Love the cover, by the way. I have always been a sucker for fantastic cover art or just art in general really. However, the cover does remind me of The Never Ending Stories castle in the movie... Does it not? o.O



Once again, Thanks for Reading! Next Post more in the Life of Krista, ha-ha! :)

12 Witty Remarks!:

Blodeuedd said...

That books sounds great, I can't wait for your thoughts. I am in such a fantasy mood

Tales of Whimsy said...

This cover looks fab :)

logankstewart said...

I've heard nothing but good things for The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms. It's supposed to be excellent, so good luck and enjoy.

As for your question, I definitely prefer to read the book first before watching a movie, though I usually try to remember that they are separate forms of art and thus require different means for expression. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. Great question!

Crystal said...

I also prefer to read the book first. I hate knowing how a book is going to end. But I like seeing how a book is portrayed on the big screen.

Krista said...

First off thank you all for commenting!

Blodeuedd, I totally cannot wait to dive in and I'm hoping its one of those can't put down until the wee hours of the night kinda reads. :)

Juju, it really is. :)


logankstewart, I have heard only good things too! I'm really excited about starting this one! :) Agreed, book before movie and thank you!


Crystal, you are totally right it ruins a good ending if you see the movie first :)

P.S. I got my copy of The One Hundred Thousand Kingdoms today! Woot! About to dive right in and I'm hoping I get completely sucked into this world!

Ryan said...

Have fun with the book, I'm sitting this month out over there. By the way, come back to the Kindgom. We miss you over there.

The Art of Kim Kincaid said...

That's weird. I thought Christopher Paolini had the corner on "The Inheritance Series". I guess this is the "Inheritance TRILOGY". Beautiful cover. Who is the artist?

I don't know which way I fall on the read book before or after movie dilemma. There have been so few that have lived up to the reading experience. LOTR is one of the few movies I can think of that matched and/or exceeded the books. "Dances with Wolves" was a better viewing experience than reading the book. So was "The Horse Whisperer". I've been so disappointed with the plethora of Young Adult fantasy book-based movies that have hit the screens. "Eragon" was a disaster. "Inkheart" was so-so. They ruined Susan Cooper's "The Dark is Rising" and Horowitz's Alex Rider series. But "Holes" was excellent as was "Stardust". For me, Percy Jackson fell somewhere in the middle. I'll stop yammering and just say that just because a book is enjoyable doesn't mean it translates well to the movie format. Often, the images the authors's words conjures up in my head are better than anything in a movie. Other times, the movie, when done well, have enhanced my reading experience.
BTW, it's good to see you posting again, Krista.

Krista said...

Ryan G., I will definitely have to stop by the Kingdom sometime. ha-ha I miss you guys, too!

Kim, The Illustrator of the cover is by Cliff Nielsen and the cover design is by Lauren Panepinto. Great cover and so far the inside is living up to it :)

And, wow, thank you for the thoughtful comment to my question. I wasn't too sure I made any sense up there. lol. You make wonderful points. Some of it probably has to do with Directors, money, actors, and such also. It could definitely go either way like everything else in this world, eh! lol. Also, thank you for the welcome back hopefully I can stick around for awhile, at least until I run outta things to write about. ha-ha :D

Alexia561 said...

I tend to not want to see the movie version if I enjoyed the book, as no way could the movie match the characters in my head!

At the same time, if I really enjoyed the movie, it makes me want to read the book for all of the bits that had to be left out. That's how I first discovered David Morrell - loved the movie version of one of his books and wound up becoming a fan.

Not familiar with The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms, but it's a gorgeous cover! Enjoy!

Melissa (My World...in words and pages) said...

I am really late at stopping by, but I am here! I am really behind in all the blogging stuff this week, although it seems like I am always behind.

I usually like reading the book first anymore, just so I have some idea of what is going on and what to expect. I have to say that the reason I really got into read was all due to a movie. Eragon. We watched the movie as a family then we got the books for my son, I started reading and well it took off from there.

I think you are really going to love The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms. I am really enjoying it.

bookmagic said...

I like to read the book first if I can. Sometimes seeing a movie makes me want to read the book even if I didn't before. There are certain great books I know will be a disappointment on the screen, so I don't watch them

MT said...

I read Shutter Island, but heard it wasn't quite worth seeing. I enjoyed the book for the most part- sounds like a safe bet to me.