BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, September 21, 2009

Book Review: Oh. My. Gods.





















Which one? They both seem to fit the book perfectly, but being the girlie girl I am, I have to say I like the wing sneakers best (the one I bought..LOL!)! Both are very fun covers, though!

Author: Tera Lynn Childs
Genre(s): YA, Fantasy
Publisher: The Penguin Group
Publication date: May 2008

Recommended? Yes, especially to those looking for a good run!
Reread? For sure, this was such a fun read, so I don't see why not!

My Review:
Phoebe Castro has just crossed the finish line in hopes of making all her dreams come true--a chance at the full track scholarship to USC with her best friends, Nola and Cesca. Little does she know her Mom's waiting at the finish line with news that could destroy all these plans. Her Mom has decided to marry a man Phoebe has never meet before and move them across the world to Greece. But this is the least of her problems. She finds herself on a secretive Island known as Aegean and attending the elite Academy, run by her stepfather, full of students that are anything BUT normal--they're descendants of the Greek Gods, where superpowers are a given. Not to mention the fact they're not fond of mundanes and want to make her time at the Academy total pandemonium! How can she possibly win the race to total freedom?......



I went into this book looking for something really fun, laid back, and entertaining and I was highly rewarded with this tale. This was such a fun book to read! Phoebe, the narrator, is a really fun character who seems to be able to handle herself quite well. She may have a few bullies, but there's no way she's going down without a fight! She even has the guts to go after Griffin, descendant of Hercules, and the boyfriend of her arch enemy!

The story line is very entertaining and at times I found myself laughing-out-loud. Oh. My. Gods. is definitely a book that could really help anyone get out of a funky mood, that's for sure! I recommend this book if you're looking for a good laugh, a fan of Greek mythology, want to reminisce on old high school days, and especially to those that love the feel of a good run: "the steady rhythm of my sneakers hitting the ground, the adrenaline and endorphins pulsing through my bloodstream, the cotton of my PAIN IS WEAKNESS LEAVING THE BODY tee rubbing against my skin with every step." ( Favorite Oh. My. Gods. quote)


Other Favorite quotes:
"wondering what Plato meant when he said, We can easily forgive a child who is scared of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light."

"You," I say, leaning in and giving him a peck on the cheek, "are a rock star in coward's clothing."


My Rating: 4/5 Wonderfully fun!!!


Thanks to JuJu at Tales of whimsy.... for recommending this book! She has tons of great book reviews!


(All comments welcome!)




20 Witty Remarks!:

Mel (He Followed Me Home) said...

My vote goes to the sneaker one too, the other one makes me giggle:)

Great review, looks like I need to add this to my ever growing TBR pile!

Blodeuedd said...

I saw this one around and yes it sounds so much fun, and after your review I wanna read it even more :)

Nina said...

Great review! Both of the covers look great, I love them! This book really sounds fun to read.

Tales of Whimsy said...

I am just thrilled that you liked this :)

Thanks for the shout-out! :)

Jessica said...

Okay, it's official! Now I really need to pick up this book.

P.S. I like the the shoes cover, too. I think I'll get myself a pair of pink shoe laces for my chucks. lol

Great review!

Crystal said...

The winged sneakers are definitely cuter!! Excellent review!

Michelle (Red Headed Book Child) said...

I like the winged sneakers myself! I've never heard of this book. It sounds unique and the title is a riot.

:)

Alexia561 said...

Enjoyed your review! This book sounds like so much fun and right up my alley, so added it to my wishlist. Thanks!

And I agree that the cover with the sneakers is much cuter.

Sheila (bookjourney) said...

It is a great looking read and I love your review. I too would pick the winged sneekers - it looks like a more fun cover.

Jennay and Luke the Pup said...

This sounds like a fun read...I'll keep an eye out for it!

bookmagic said...

Love the covers!!
this sounds realy good, glad you enjoyed it, great review also

Jake Kirk@Teens Read and Write said...

Winged Shoes FTW! And just so you know...AWARD FOR YOU HERE!

Melissa (My World...in words and pages) said...

I think I have to go for the sneakers as well. Much cuter. This book sounds like it is a real good light, fun read. I enjoy the greek mythology theme so I may have to get this to have on hand for a rainy day.

I really like the review too. You make this look so easy.

Michelle Stockard Miller said...

These look..and sound..very interesting! I like the winged shoes as well.

Please stop by and pick up your award!

http://thetruebookaddict.blogspot.com/2009/09/awards-backlog.html

Anonymous said...

what a great review, looks like you enjoyed it a lot! I'm going to have to look for this one. I wouldn't mind a cheery book.

Krista said...

Thank you, guys! I really did enjoy this book and if you happen to pick this one up I hope you do, too! Thanks for stopping by to comment! You all rock!

Krista said...

Oh and It looks like the Wing Sneakers Wins! Woot! Woot!

Unknown said...

great blog. love the layout. i'm following you now. you should pop over/follow mine. i have all things books. also have a free book give-a-way and interview going now.
xo

chocowafer said...

LOVE this book! Definitely a lot of LOL moments in there. :)

Anonymous said...

Hi! I stumbled on your blog from KyusiReader. This book sounds like a fun read. Thanks for this post. Will be on the lookout for this one.